Responsible for the financial records and systems of all locations of the church
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- General Ledger: Oversees the accounting records including the appropriate assignment of cash disbursements and receipts. Updates Deacon finance subcommittee monthly on financial position of the church. Maintains and improves the Chart of Accounts to accurately provide tracking and reporting of financial information. Prepares all vendor disbursements and provides 1099 and other reporting to service providers and donors, as required. Capitalize fixed assets.
- myChristChurch (Church Community Builder): Oversees the contribution and receipt funds within myChristChurch and reconciles receipts to the General Ledger. Maintains the integrity of the data to provide accurate year end statements to all contributors. Prepares and distributes preliminary and year end giving statements. Assists congregants with contribution information, as requested.
- Budgeting and Forecasting: Prepares the annual operating budget in accordance with Elder/Deacon directives and Central Leadership Team financial objectives. Works with Ministry Leaders and Director of Operations to prepare budgets and presents to the Deacon Board for approval. Prepares presentation materials for the annual congregational meeting. Once approved, enters data into the General Ledger and determines appropriate monthly accruals to meet objectives. Works with Campus Pastors quarterly to provide updated financial forecasts and cash flow projections throughout the year, as required.
- On-line Giving: Oversees the on-line giving options and processes to seamlessly and accurately reflect contributions and payments made through Automated Clearing House (ACH), PayPal, Pushpay and other third party Merchant Accounts. Responsible for providing reports pertaining to on-line giving services offered by Christ Church.
- Mission Partners: Ensures timely payment to church ministry partners as reflected in the Global Missions and Local Outreach budgets.
- Financial Services: Responsible for overseeing the processes required to accurately report on the following:
- Credit Card Services: Processes credit card transactions. Implements policy and procedure to provide adequate documentation and purchasing controls.
- Petty Cash: Responsible for the disbursement and reconciliation of petty cash account. Reimburses cash expenses from petty cash per approved procedures.
- Self-Employment (SE) Tax: Accrues monthly Pastoral SE Tax.
- Stock Donations and IRA QCD disbursements: Receive stock donations and IRA QCD disbursements from contributors and send appropriate documentation to contributors.
- Bank Reconciliations: Reconciles bank accounts monthly, identifies and corrects any discrepancies.
- Financial Reporting: Prepares monthly reporting of receipts and disbursements in comparison to budget and analyzes information for significant variances from budget; reviews statements with Ministry Leaders and corrects any errors/omissions. Analyzes event receipts and disbursements and ministry budgets to determine financial trends and anomalies and presents findings to ministry leaders. Reports significant variances to Director of Operations and Deacon finance subcommittee. Responsible for multi-year financial analysis and trending reporting.
- Auditing: Leads annual financial review by preparing financials and manages the relationship with the audit company. Identify and improve internal control weaknesses and prepare the organization for a full financial audit.
- Systems: Responsible for implementing Mortarstone and developing processes for using the information from this system. Responsible for implementing Martus Planning Tools and developing processes for using the information. Responsible for developing training materials and training of appropriate staff and leaders.
- Finance/Staff Liaison: Responsible for facilitating communications between Deacons, staff and any outsourced financial provider(s) as it relates to budgeting, reporting, financial policies and procedures.
- Policies and Procedures: Responsible to maintain documentation related to financial policies and procedures. Provides recommendations to identify/mitigate risk, enhance data integrity, increase efficiency or enhance existing systems. Recommends and/or implements financial policies and procedures in conjunction with Deacons or church staff, as appropriate. Preserve internal controls and update as necessary. Ensure all policies and procedures are in compliance with current IRS and GAAP requirements.
- Special Projects and Reports: At the direction of the Deacon finance subcommittee or Director of Operations, researches and analyzes financial information for special projects, as assigned. Enhances reporting to support Central Leadership Team objectives.
- Strategic Planning: Work with Director of Operations on long-range financial analysis relating to projects that support the strategic plans of the church. Develops financial models for various alternatives to help guide and determine the financial risk/benefit to the church. (May include analysis of additional campuses, a major capital campaign, or creating additional service offerings). Responsible analyzing and determining appropriate managerial financial model allocations appropriate for multisite evaluation.
- Supervision: Manages the Financial Services Administrator and any other bookkeeping staff.
- Banking: Manages relationship with Bankers and ensures annual review of line of credit, long term debt, and that Christ Church honors all covenants as contracted.
- Cash Flow: Responsible for cash flow/liquidity needs of the church
- Risk Management: Ensures proper insurance coverage to protect Christ Church and its assets.
- Finance Committee: Prepare Agenda and lead meeting for the Deacon Finance Committee
- Investment Policy: Implement church investment policy and lead Investment Advisory subcommittee of the Finance Committee
- Annual Statements: Prepare annual statements for donors and mail.
Person must have a strong Christian faith and biblical foundation evidenced by the highest standards of discretion, moral integrity, and virtues of kindness, humility and discernment. Must be able to intersect with staff, vendors and congregant’s alike–engendering trust while holding all financial matters in the strictest of confidence. Must be a self-starter, an excellent communicator and have strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills. Must also possess ability to understand, create and be competent in existing financial systems and be motivated and energized by increasingly improving results.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting. CPA and/or MBA preferred.
- Minimum 7+ years accounting experience
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Multi-site experience preferred
- Experience working with non-profit and/or Christian Ministry organizations preferred
- Strong communication, technology, and analytical skills required
- Ability to multi-task with an attention to detail
- Committed to 1 Timothy 3:8-13 and Acts 6:1-6 principles
- Proficient in QuickBooks Online and Excel
- Easily adapt to new technologies
- Martus and PushPay experience a plus
- Models Christian character at work, home, and social life
- Strive to uphold the Statement of Staff Values
- Possess a developed Christian maturity
- Agreement of Christ Church’s Statement of Faith
- Understanding of Constitution and ByLaws of Christ Church
- Willingness to serve in and/or outside the church
This position requires time spent on the following physical activities:
None Under 1/3 to Over
1/3 2/3 2/3
Use hands to finger, handle, or feel |______|______|__x___|______|
Reach with hands and arms |______|__x___|______|______|
Climb or balance |__x___|______|______|______|
Stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl |______|__x___|______|______|
Talk or hear |______|______|______|__x___|
Taste or smell |__x___|______|______|______|
This position requires time spent lifting weight or exerting force in the following manner:
None Under 1/3 to Over
1/3 2/3 2/3
Up to 10 pounds |______|______|___x__|______|
Up to 25 pounds |______|__x___|______|______|
Up to 50 pounds |___x__|______|______|______|
Up to 100 pounds |___x__|______|______|______|
More than 100 pounds |___x__|______|______|______|